Indoor Kid

Lately, I've been getting in to musicals. It started last winter when I finally started listening to Hamilton. Not sure what took me so long. My students had been telling me to listen to it for a while. Most of my runs that winter and early spring involved a healthy dose of Hamilton. I'm so dorky, I even ran a half listening to only Hamilton.

Yeah.....theater nerd





I think I've always liked musicals, but I kind of got away from listening to them. Which is weird because I teach private voice lessons and have to teach musical numbers frequently.

The first time I can really remember "getting into" a musical was in the 8th grade. My high school was doing The Music Man and my older brother and my father were both playing trumpet in the pit band. I went to every performance (which I'm sure had nothing to do with the fact that I thought the lead was cute). For probably a month after that, I would play the cassette tape of the movie soundtrack in my room, singing along to (and...acting out... smh) every number.



Just another introvert thing to do. Singing for hours in my room was not a new thing. I used to jam to Debbie Gibson in the 80s. My husband often teases me about that. He envisions me with feathered hair belting out "Shake Your Love" in my unicorn poster adorned room.



I've always been that kind of indoor kid.  But I guess it helped me hone my skills as a singer. Didn't help my social game much though. Oh well.

Just some thoughts today as I drove home listening to Dear Evan Hansen. I'm sure I'll end up obsessed with that too :)

Cheers!


Comments