"I wanna keep running all day, and all night even when my mind tell my body that's enough" - The Avett Brothers


Fighting Boredom on a Run

When I talk to people about running (and let’s face it, runners are always talking about running) I am often asked how I conquer the boredom. I tell them I don’t really feel bored on a run. Too many things occupy my brain over the miles. I could be ruminating about work, thinking about what I need at the grocery store, or focusing on how far I still have to go. But, I’m sure there was a time when I started running that I just needed something to help me get through it.  So here are some things that help me out.

1)      Listen to music. I know. Duh. But when I started running I’d listen to the same album each time I ran. I’d tried to see how quickly I could get done with my run based on what song I ended on. Track 9 this time? Awesome! It was middle of track 10 the last time. This is pre-GPS watches. Plus, if it’s a record I LOVE I am prone to sing along as I go. Keeps my pace steady. Can’t sing, too fast. The album I listened to over an over again was The Avett Brothers album Mignonette.

2)      Focus on landmarks. This works well for Tempo Runs and Fartleks. Run to the next street corner before you look at your watch. Race to the next mailbox, lamp post, etc. You’ll be done before you know it.


3)      PODCASTS!  I really wish I had podcasts during my first marathon training.  I like these better on long or easy runs. Music is more of a must while doing any speedy runs or tracks workouts. Which ones do I love? Here are just a few.

Interview Format

The Nerdist – I used to crush on Chris Hardwick when he was on Singled Out. He interviews lots of cool people.

Anna Faris in Unqualified – Anna’s format is great. She interviews well known actors, musicians, etc. But also calls people who have submitted requests for advice. It’s really fun to hear celebrities give advice. Many are so humble about it. I really liked the Lauren Graham episode.

You Made it Weird- part of The Nerdist network but Pete Holmes hosts. He waxes philosophical with his guests and LOVES to laugh at his own jokes. Which sounds bad but is actually really endearing.

True Crime

Serial – An older podcast now but Season 1 is still my favorite podcast. 

Up and Vanished – This one was great because while the host was putting the episodes out about an unsolved murder from 2005 some things started happening with the case

Human Interest/Comic

Spooked (part of Snap Judgment) listen to it around Halloween, gives you all the chills)
The Mortified Podcast – I LOVED the documentary. As someone who has been journaling since childhood, I can truly appreciate the humor of this series. I’ve thought about submitting some of my more embarrassing entries. But they are just too embarrassing.

Hope these help some people to get out there and run!

Any Podcasts you love?
What are your New Year's plans?

Comments

Popular Posts